The term Big Data refers to extremely large data sets that may be analyzed to reveal patterns, trends and human behavior. This large volume of data is collected by tracking user interactions and actions over the web. This data can be structured, semi-structured or unstructured which is one of its advantages over the traditional databases that expect data to be in particular format or schema.
Big data is generally associated with 3 V’s which are as follows –
- Volume: The amount of data that is being collected, analyzed and stored because of the presence and usage of multiple devices and the number of people performing some or the other activity on the web.
- Velocity: The speed at which this data is generated and collected. This is again due to the fact that the number of interactions over the web have increased tremendously over the past years.
- Variety: Due to the availability of different types of devices and social media networks, data shared is in multiple forms like text, images, audios and videos. This variety of formats available today help in analyzing user behavior and interest.
Big data offers a huge scope for Marketers to run effective marketing campaigns by targeting the right audience at the right time. This has changed the way modern marketers and organizations reach their potential customers.
- Big Data refers to extremely large data sets that may be analyzed to reveal patterns, trends and human behavior. [Tweet this!]
- 3 V’s of Big Data – Volume, Velocity, Variety. [Tweet this!]